Friday, July 17, 2009

Shopping at the Salvation Army Thrift Store

In these trying economic times, the smart shopper will explore every money-saving avenue she (or he) can find. Some of my favorite places to shop are thrift stores, and one of the best is the Salvation Army Thrift Store. I think most people will recognize the Salvation Army musicians that can be seen and heard around the holiday season, but there is more to the organization than that. Not only does the Salvation Army do wonderful work by helping humanity all over the world, but it runs stores where good clothing and household items are available in just about anyone's price range. My family and I have donated gently-used things to the Salvation Army's stores many times, and we encourage others to do the same.

The Salvation Army Thrift Store in my town is one of the most caring and community-supportive places I've ever seen. For example, if a family loses their home to fire, the Salvation Army Thrift Store will give them clothing, furniture, and household supplies to start again. This organization will assist those in need in any way it can. They also have a shelter for homeless folks. Their goal is obviously to help, not to make big profits. That's one of the reasons I love to support them. They operate from the heart, not from the pocketbook.


Today, my mother and I went on a fun little Salvation Army shopping adventure. Between the two of us, we purchased several clothing items--mostly pants and shirts, a few cookbooks and two novels, three ceramic potpourri containers, a
basket or two (one of my weaknesses), some bedding, and a few miscellaneous items. And together, our total was just a little over $39.00! Although you can often find things with the original store tags still attached, none of today's purchases did. However, they all were in excellent condition. (Regardless, I still wash everything before we wear or use it. I think that's just a safe practice and do it no matter where I purchase anything.)

So I recommend that you check out and support your local Salvation Army. Shopping at the Thrift Store just makes good economic sense, and donating to it helps both you and those in need.

2 comments:

  1. Salvation Army stores are wonderful! You can get some great deals there.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift stores! :)

    I recently found an organization here in Lexington called "Mission Lexington". Not only do they give away clothing and household items to people in need, they also run dental and medical clinics for low-income people without insurance. I prefer to donate to them when I can.

    ReplyDelete