Sunday, July 5, 2009

Micky Dolenz Concert


Guess what?!! I saw Micky Dolenz in concert! What a treat! He was the headliner at our town's summer festival, Summer Motion.

For those of you who are too young to remember the 1960's, Micky Dolenz is a former member of a fabulous group called The Monkees. The Monkees were four young men--Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith--who were, basically, the original "boy band", I suppose you could call them. The group was actually created to be America's answer to the Beatles, so I've heard. However, The Monkees started with a TV show of the same name, and their music hit the radios at about the same time. The show and the group became the center of a major merchandising campaign with everything from collector cards to lunch boxes available for fans to purchase. Although the show lasted only a couple of years or so, The Monkees as a group continued making hits and staging concerts for several years after that. There was a reunion tour or two over the decades since, and individual members of the group still tour and perform. Some of the guys have branched out into other branches of the industry (Micky included. He is also a successful director and actor.). Some of their songs have even been covered by contemporary groups.

I think I was the queen of Monkee-mania in my neighborhood, even though I was only about eight years old when they first came to the public's attention. I've been a major fan since day one, and I can't imagine that ever changing. I was never able to see any of them live until Micky came to our corner of the world this past Thursday night, and I was thrilled to see him.

My son and new daughter-in-law went with me, and I believe they had as good a time as I did. Micky may be 61 years old now, but...the man has still "got it"! He's still the same funny, energetic, mesmerizing, and talented entertainer he always was. He and his band did many of the old Monkee songs (anyone remember "I'm a Believer"?), plus a couple more that blew the crowd away (and there was a major crowd!). It was his drummer's birthday, so we all sung Happy Birthday to him with Micky. For about 90 minutes, he had us on our feet dancing, clapping, and singing along, and it was over way too soon!

I was fortunate enough to get an autographed photo, even though it meant standing in line for quite a while. He was very pleasant and approachable as he signed autographs, even though he must have been exhausted after his performance. But...what was really cool happened afterward. I went home (dummy me!), and my son, daughter-in-law, and a friend went to a local diner for an after-concert snack. They'd been there just a few minutes, when who should walk in but Micky Dolenz and his band! Stephen (my son) said Micky had his hat and sunglasses on and sort of slipped in quickly and sat down, so no one else seemed to recognize him. Stephen debated for a minute about speaking to him because he really hated to bother him when he obviously didn't really want to be noticed. However, how often do you get a chance to speak with a legend?

So, Stephen quietly went up to him, tapped him on the shoulder, and spoke with him. Micky was actually very warm and welcoming and not put off at all by a fan interrupting his time. They had a brief conversation, Stephen told the drummer (a friendly, talented guy named Sandy) Happy Birthday again, Micky let Stephen take three pictures with he and Stephen together, and then Stephen left him in peace. Stephen called me later and told me all about it. He was so sad that I hadn't gotten to be there, but...that's okay. I'm just happy that he got to have that special moment.

If you ever get the chance to see Micky Dolenz in concert, go for it. He puts on a great show that even non-Monkee fans will get a kick out of, but Monkee-maniacs like me will be in heaven!

Now, if I can just get to see Davy, Peter, and Mike....
Sigh....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry! Sounds like a great concert, I would love to be able to see him live. Peter too.

    As for Michael, he doesn't really do many concerts any more BUT you can still see him in his virtual reality world at www.videoranch3d.com. He does a reading of his new book every Sunday and there is a Fall Festival planned for later in the year. I highly recommend it, it's a great place to hang out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, how fun that must have been to see Micky! When my son was in college, Davy Jones played at the school. He called me on his cell phone, so I could hear it.

    I hope you had a happy 4th!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete